How it works
By adopting the mind-set and process required by Government Soft Landings we can align the interests of procurers, constructors and designers with users and operators. Taking the actions below will achieve this alignment:
- Engage with end users throughout design and delivery process
- Set clear targets and measures for:
- Functionality & Effectiveness; so that the working environment is conducive to productivity and social well-being.
- Operational and capital costs; to reduce costs in construction and operation.
- Environmental Performance; to meet carbon and other sustainability targets.
- Commission the facility with the inclusion of training in partnership with end users.
- Assess performance for at least three years post completion to establish outcomes and lessons learnt.
- Involve the design team in the early operating phase to tune performance and ensure target outcomes.
How it works with BIM
As the project progresses and design is developed a significant amount of information and data can be used to answer these questions about performance. As BIM is developed it will become possible to automatically collect a lot of this data.
It is anticipated that through the use of BIM, operational information will be collected in seconds and not the hours that it would have taken before.
What it means for the client
GSL provides the client with an opportunity to achieve assets that:
- Achieve the performance outcomes specified at the outset of the project.
- Address operational needs and running costs adding to the efficiency of their business.
- Are cheaper to construct and operate and do not require changes after handover because user and operator needs have been assessed throughout the design process
- Meet their optimum performance much quicker because they will have designers and the construction team involved in optimising their operation.
Clients learn to understand how design will influence operational costs and service delivery.
To achieve the above clients must have their operators and users involved throughout the design and construction process as powerful influencers of decision making.
Find out more at the Centre for Digital Built Britain
Download the Government Soft Landings (GSL) Interactive Navigator