The project involved a complete redesign of the existing medical school building providing:
▪ Expanded and re-equipped anatomy suite
▪ Student collaboration and breakout spaces
▪ Teaching facilities – including clinical skills spaces
▪ Office space for support teams
To enable the building to remain partially occupied the works were phased.
This project transformed the Medical School’s facilities at York, enhancing the student experience.
World class results
As a direct response to a growing shortage of doctors within the UK, this facility has delivered an outstanding medical training facility for the Yorkshire Region. The Health Secretary committed to increase the number of medical school places available by 1,500 to be made available from 2020. This initiative included the award of an additional 90 places to the Hull York Medical School (HYMS), a unique partnership with the Universities of Hull and York, to offer exceptional medical education.
Through early engagement with all stakeholders and the use of digital technology Interserve's integrated team has provided outstanding value for money and risen to the significant challenge to successfully deliver a world class medical school.
- Fast track two-year programme from initial concept to handover of the facility to the meet the opening date.
- Early collaboration enabled through appointment of a multi-disciplinary team via a framework appointment to allow an experienced team to hit-the-ground-running with stakeholder engagement.
- Design team partners were selected based on quality and specifically their knowledge of the University requirements and stakeholders to streamline the design process which was crucial to achieve programme and a quality outcome.
- Contractor appointment via the collaborative YORbuild2 framework which fostered a partnering approach, high-quality and appointment of the Interserve team who are experienced in health and education which added value and ensure successful delivery on-site.
- Construction delivery in just 28 weeks meeting a very challenging programme, delivering new spaces and safeguarding funding and revenue streams.
- Working within a challenging fixed budget, which represented £1,560/m2; this was approximately 30% below the BCIS mean average for a facility of this type.
- Back to back supply chain contracts, provided significant innovations to the project, and provided value savings of £460k without affecting functionality or aesthetics.
- Repurposing an existing building, reducing embodied carbon by 26%
- Enhancing the campus and the student experience.
- Safe delivery with zero accidents or complaints on a logistically challenging university campus with over 20,000 students.
- Developing safe solutions to decant in phases, maintaining access and keeping the adjacent car park operational.
- As a collegiate university managing and satisfying the objectives of eight key stakeholders.
- Providing specialist learning and research environments, working with specialist equipment installers.
- A low maintenance solution, supporting client UN sustainability targets.
- Scheme design developed utilising BIM supporting 3D stakeholder engagement and a link into the Universities campus wide maintenance model which our team has developed.
- Redefining the standard of medical training.
- Providing over £14.7m of social value outcomes for the region.
- Generating in excess of £95,000 in procurement savings.
over £14.7m social value outcomes for the region
-26% reduction in embodied carbon
28 weeks construction delivery
An award winning project
Hull York Medical School earned Interserve Construction the 'Value' award at this year's Constructing Excellence Yorkshire & Humber Awards and was also highly commended in the 'Integrated and Collaborative Working' category.